Happy Mother’s Day!
May 9, 2021, is Mother’s Day where I am (and in at least 95 other countries1), so I wanted to make a post to commemorate it. I did not make a Mother’s Day post last year and I usually publish a Famous Sayings post, but this year I will do something different.
Why Do I Like Mother’s Day?
I am not a mother, but I always loved Mother’s Day because of my mother.
One of my earliest memories of Mother’s Day was when I was in grade school. Every year, the teachers would take some time from class and get students to make Mother’s Day gifts. (We did the same for Father’s Day in June.)
One year in my class (I forget whether it was in the second or third grade) we had to make cookie jars out of coffee cans. Those cans were covered with fabric, and the teachers had to help us glue the fabric to the cans (with a glue gun).
We had three choices for fabric, and I chose a pink fabric with polka dots. (It turns out that my mom’s favorite color is pink, so that worked out.)
I remember giving the gift to my mother, and she loved it. We used the cookie jar for months until it collected too much dust.
I know that Mother’s Day has become commercialized (to the chagrin of Anna Jarvis, who pushed for the observance of Mother’s Day in the United States2), but I think this is one case where commercialization isn’t detrimental. I still want to buy a card for my mother because it brings a smile to her face. She appreciates the gesture, as many mothers do.
Do You Love Mother’s Day?
If you celebrate Mother’s Day on the second Sunday in May, I hope you enjoyed this day, whether you are a mother, you celebrated with your mother, or you know a great mother.
While you’re here, take some time to read some related Famous Sayings posts, if you haven’t already.
- Famous Sayings: #9 — ‘The Hand That Rocks the Cradle…’
- Famous Sayings: #61 — ‘But You Can’t Fool Your Mother’
- Famous Sayings: #104 — ‘Mother Knows Best …’
- Famous Sayings #147 — ‘Mother Nature’
- History.com Editors. “Mother’s Day 2021.” History.com, A&E Television Networks, 29 April 2011, Updated 30 April 2021, https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/mothers-day. Accessed 9 May 2021.
- Various Authors. “Mother’s Day.” Wikipedia, Updated 9 May 2021, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother%27s_Day.