For the fourth assignment in the Intermediate Customization course, I took a look at the backgrounds and fonts on this blog.
As I mentioned during the first assignment, I have long taken care of much of the customization. That included the fonts and background. But it wouldn’t hurt to play with the customization to see what, if anything, could be done.
What I Did with My Background
As I look at my new header image, I realize that the background could be change, albeit at a later date. There is no contrast between the header’s background and the content space of the theme.
I did play around with the colors, but I didn’t like what I saw. Basically, everything that wasn’t the default light gray made the interactions between the header and the content space appear wonky. A white background made everything blend together, but not in a good way.
I also tried out a background. An interesting idea would be to use a background with a cloudy sky. However, the image I made a while back was too large and there was too much contrast with the header.
At the moment, the background will stay the same.
What I Did with the Fonts
There was no change here, either. Early on, I decided to change the display text. The Lovecraft theme originally came with the Playfair Bold font. While it looks nice, it doesn’t quite fit this blog.
I decided to go with Noto Sans a Long time ago.
I believe the original body text was Open Sans and I kept that. I generally like that font family and sans serif fonts are easier for online reading.
There will be no change here unless I update my header. I think the fonts will stay the same regardless, but the background could change, depending on how I update my header. That could also change the mood of the blog.