This week, I decided to do another Blogging University course. Although I really want to dive into the Branding and Growth course, the current course I’m taking is Intermediate Customization. I really should make some tweaks to my theme first.
As I discussed in my Blogging 101: Zero to Hero (now Blogging: Fundamentals) course, I decided to change over to the Lovecraft Theme from the Baskerville theme. I have stuck with it ever since, but I would like to do some more customization.
Looking at My Theme Again
As part of the first assignment in this course, I was asked to take advantage of a feature I never tried before. However, I have taken advantage of most of the features of Lovecraft, from what I understand.
For starters, I played with the widgets months ago. The widgets are where I want them and I wanted to have a fairly even and clean footer. From time to time, I have made revisions with the widgets, but I opted to have a clean look for the footer and sidebar.
Also, I already played with the page orientation. I have a wide-screen orientation for my home page. The other pages have a sidebar.
When it comes to publishing posts, I have taken advantage of many of the features, including:
- The headers (from h1, h2, and h3), although there are six levels.
- The block quotes function, even in responses to visitors.
- The “Read More” tag, in order to cut off some of my posts for emails and to entice people to view the full posts on my blog.
- The horizontal line function to separate larger sections of my text.
- The link function, keeping in mind that I have to edit links to other posts on my blog to keep from tracking back my own posts.
Additionally, I found that the standard format for my posts work better than aside.
As you can see, there wasn’t much left for me to do for the first assignment.
Deciding on a Change I Could Make
The first assignment did call for me to view Lovecraft’s informational page(s), so I did that. When scanning the links for the demo, I did come across a suggestion to add my logo to my header, so that is what I have done.
Before, I didn’t include a logo on the first page. Here is a screenshot from February of this year:
Of course, you can tell that I went back to a plain white background.
Here is a screenshot with my logo:
I had the vector for the logo in an Illustrator document, so I played with the size until I was pleased. (However, I could have edited the image within WordPress.)
The current size of the logo is 100px by 100px. It’s not too large or too small. However, I don’t quite like how it sits. If there was a way to change the orientation for free, I would do that.